While activating Windows 8 Enterprise downloaded from Microsoft TechNet, I encountered the following error: “Windows can’t activate right now. Error 0x8007007B The File name, directory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect.”
To resolve this error and correctly activate Windows 8 Enterprise, I did the following:
- Launch Task Manager.
- Click on File -> Run new task.
- In the Create new task window,
- Type cmd.
- Click the Create this task with administrative privileges button.
- Click Ok.
- From the administrative command prompt, run the following two commands to unistall the product key and then, install the new product key by replacing the XXXXdesignation below.
- slmgr -upk
- slmgr -ipk XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX
Slmgr is a Windows script that can be used to change product keys, activate a system, and determine a system’s license type. Slmgr options can be found on technet.microsoft.com.